Monday 7 August 2006

peach sal·sa

The final ingredients for the edition of , run once again by Owen at Tomatilla! are :

Cherries
Peaches
Any newly (re)discovered herb
Something spicy hot

It is a little difficult to find fresh stone fruit in New Zealand in the middle of winter, and since it is nasty and rainy here today I was not motivated to go to the shop to try to find some dried or other version. So I turned to the cupboard and came up with the following interpretations of the ingredients!

Kirsch, cherry liqueur
Canned peaches, the easy winter peach option!
Vietnamese mint, from the garden, easy enough to pick on my way in. I have only just started to grow this and have only used it one or twice.
Peppercorns, tellicherry peppercorns to be precise. Which, if pepper could be classed as a herb I could claim the tellicherry version to be newly discovered with this being its first outing in my kitchen. And come to think of it, I could claim this as the cherry part too, right?!

We are having steak for dinner tonight, and I thought a peach salsa would jazz up dinner and satisfy the paperchef ingredients at the same time!

Peach Salsa :

Peaches, canned or fresh, chopped
kirsch, a slug
Vietnamese mint leaves, shredded
Tellicherry peppercorns, crushed

Mix all ingredients together and leave for at least an hour for the flavours to meld. Serve as you would any salsa, perhaps as we are with a tellicherry peppercorn crusted steak.

I think this might fit the Paper Chef Home category since I did not have to buy any ingredients especially. And all could be substituted easily : how about a pear, whisky, mint and peppercorn salta tomorrow?

2 comments:

Emma said...

Thanks Bron, shame you skipped it I was looking forward to seeing what you were going to come up with.

G said...

that looks like it is delicious.

I have been wanting to make somethingwith peaches but I keep eating them first